- Penguins G Marc Andre Fleury is back. The former #1 overall pick has won 5 straight games and is taking full advantage of Matt Murray’s injury. Although Murray’s season stats (.928 sv% and 2.18 GAA) are still better than Fleury’s (.910 sv% and 3.07 GAA) the ‘Flower’ is winning and if he continues it will be hard to start Murray over him. Here is more from the Pens last win against Tampa Bay from TSN:
Fleury, who has not lost in regulation since allowing six goals to the Minnesota on Nov. 25, is 7-0-1 in his last eight decisions.
- Jets rookie phenom Patrik Laine is out indefinitely after an open ice hit from Sabres D Jake McCabe. Most experts deem the hit to be legal and not dirty, but the Finnish F Laine had his head down as he skated through center ice which most likely contributed to his concussion. Here is more from NHL.com and Jets head coach Paul Maurice:
“Patty’s got a concussion,” Maurice said. “He tested out [Saturday] night; he’ll see doctors again today, so he will start the stages of recovery with that and will until the symptoms subside, and then he’ll start increasing workload and getting back on the ice.
- Watch out for the Toronto Maple Leafs and the youth movement. No one expected this team to win very many games this year, but with Austin Matthews leading the way the Leafs are 6th in goals per game and only 2 points out of a playoff spot. Here is more from Yahoo Sports.
More News and Notes:
- Blue Jackets cut Curtis McElhinney after poor start vs. Rangers
- Boudreau Gets Revenge as Wild down Ducks
- Edmonton Oilers finally, finally, finally send Jesse Puljujarvi, Jonas Gustavsson to AHL