The number one team in the NHL as of Dec 27th is the Columbus Blue Jackets. No that is not a typo or autocorrect for Penguins, the best team in hockey is John Tortorella’s club. The Jackets are winners of 12 straight games, have not lost at all in December and their last regulation loss was the day before American Thanksgiving! Coach Torts says its all about the mental game:
“Mental,” said Tortorella, who replaced Todd Richards after the Blue Jackets started 0-7 last season. “We’re a much better mentally equipped team, in handling things, in understanding what it is to be a pro. More businesslike.”
Here is more from USA Today
- The team trailing the Jackets, Pittsburgh made some headlines in extending Head Coach Mike Sullivan for 3 years. A Stanley Cup and 22-8-5 record, I say he’s earned it! The deal will take him though the 2019-2020 season.
A native of Marshfield, Massachusetts, Sullivan took over as bench boss on December 12, 2005 after the firing of Mike Johnston and guided the Pens to their first Stanley Cup since 2009 last June.
“Mike did the best coaching job in the NHL last season,” Pens general manager Jim Rutherford said in a statement. “He continues to be a terrific coach and we are happy to give him a well-deserved extension.”
Here is more from TSN
- In case you live under a rock and haven’t heard, Jaromir Jagr is now the second leading scorer in NHL history with 1888 points, now one more than Rangers great Mark Messier. It was an unorthodx assist, coming off his rear end, but none the less, number 68 is one of the best ever to lace up the skates and we hope he plays many more seasons! Here is the video of the assist and his interview:
More News and Notes:
- The World Junior Championships have begun, with the USA and Canada winning, Follow TSN for full coverage
- Another red hot team is the Minnesota Wild who beat the Rangers before Christmas for their Franchise Record 10th straight win – Twin Cities Pioneer Press
- NHL.com highlights the top Hockey moments of 2016